Plattenspieler Franke RTS ; Tonarm Fidelity Research FR 64 ?

• kayro: Auch Dir Glückwunsch zum erstandenen FR. Offenbar hast Du dort ein wirklichen Glückstreffer gelandet. Der Tonarm ist nahezu unverwüstlich und bedarf schon wirklich grober Fehlbehandlung um Schäden zu nehmen. Insofern denke ich, daß Du nach einer behutsamen Grundreinigung viel Freude daran haben wirst.

Schraube ein SPU, FR oder auch DL103 daran und es bleiben (in den Grenzen der jeweiligen Tonabnehmer) kaum Wünsche offen. Die vorzunehmenden Tonarmeinstellungen (Skating-Gewichte, Lateralbalance) sind in der BDA beschrieben, die Schablone für die Nullpunkte ist ebenfalls enthalten. Eine Waage sollte jedoch vorhanden sein. Die Skalierung der Auflagekraft ist zwar recht exakt aber natürlich nicht bis auf Zehntel genau, sofern man denn wert darauf legt.

Gruß und viel Erfolg,

Marc

• Nachtrag:

Thomas Schick hat hier einige interessante Bilder eines zerlegten FR-64S auf seiner Homepage: Link

Aus Erfahrung weiß ich, das das Rad zur Einstellung der Auflagekraft mit den Jahren auf Grund von harzigem Fett durchaus etwas schwergängig werden kann. Möglicherweise besteht hier Handlungsbedarf. Das originale Kabel würde ich in jedem Fall belassen, es sei denn es ist beschädigt.

Gruß,

Marc

• Hello Rolandpower,

I send you the bigger weight that you need when using SPU gold. The smaller weight i have is 233 grammes. The bigger weight i took from my other 64S arm. I thought i must have another one but i am not sure now!!. Maybe i bought the extra bigger weight when i bought the arm 35 years ago.

In the information from FR it says you must only use the smaller weight if you cannot balance the arm with the big weight.

If i remember well having the weight closer to the ax of the arm is better. If the height of the turntable platter is higher than normal than you can use a weight with a larger diameter so that the weight will move closer to the ax.

With track and trace it shows that your arm is still in my country??

Greetings, ed

• Hello Ed,

I am not sure with the weights. The smaller when i remember is under 200g. But am not sure. In case of trouble i found in GB a shop, company they make counterweights of steel and brass.

Often i saw images from FR 66s with a smaller weight. FR 66s is the 12 inch version of FR 64 s. And 64s with bigger weight.

Take a look at images on this thread. FR 66s with smaller weight.

I am happy to get yours with so much original pieces like Headshell and skating weights. Often they sell without original Headshell.

Yes, it seems to bei in NL. But in most cases need more days then two from NL TO GERMANY.

Stay tuned

Gaetano

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von rolandpower ()

• Ursprünglich war meine Frage zu den Gewichten, warum der FR66s ein kleineres hat und der kurze FR64s diesen dicken Klotz. Müsste se nicht Umgekehrt sein, da der 12er mehr Masse mit sich bringt?

In Serie, was wurde wo verpackt??

Große Gegengewichte waren bestimmt als optional zu kaufen, denke ich.

Das was shaqiri schreibt, macht Sinn, da die FX Arme ja leichter waren bedingt durch das Material Aluminium. Die schweren Stahlarme mussten aber ja ausbalanciert werden....??

• Der 64s hatte ein Gegengewicht. Der 66s kam mit zwei unterschiedlichen. Dann gab es noch zwei weitere Gegengewichte als Zubehör von FR. Siehe Bild oben.

Sonst google FR-64s box und FR-66s box - da siehst Du die Bestückung der Originalschachteln.

Ich finde meine Manuals gerade nicht. Daher kann ich die Herstellerangaben zu den Gewichten nicht nennen.

Viele Grüsse,
    Mario

It is good taste, and good taste alone, that possesses the power to sterilize and is always the first handicap to any creative functioning. (Salvador Dali)

• Hello,

I thought i have two weights with each arm but i could not find the bigger weight when i packed the arm for you so i took the weight from my own arm!!! Maybe now i dont have any more big weight. I am sure for the SPU you will need the big weight.

I think with the original headshell and DL103 you will need the smaller one.

I dont think you can improve the original weight!!

The only way to make it better is to use a material that is heavier than the original one. Kupfer could be nice! Cannot use lead in a drehmaschine and it is toxic when you touch it.

What you can do is make one from kupfer that has a ring cut out by a drehmaschine and fill that with lead. BUT you need to sure that the two materials are very well connected.

Maybe can use the kupfer as a mould and pour in melted lead?

If there is enough space you could ask for a weight with a larger diameter so you change the other dimensions and still get the same weight.

Lead is about 45% heavier than steel. Kupfer 15% heavier.

With my 64S and SPU the weight was already close to the achse. Maybe 15 mm. Maybe later i will do a test with the smaller weight 233 grammes i have and add a circle of bleiblech around it to see if i can put it at the same distance to the achse just by adding lead.

There is a company in England that can make the bigger weights. BUT i think any company with a drehmaschine can make it.

Greetings, Ed

• Hello Ed,

Is it yours other Arm? What a counterweights massage!! Nice.

Yes, copper is nice. Brass is also good.

I am sure that can be balanced with big counterweight DL 103 and original Headshell. Often see it on utube vids and images, too. Think the smaller is to use with other cartridges to make FR 64 s more flexible.

• To celebrate New Arm i have brought new records. Hihi

To the other guys here sorry for english conversation. Hope you have understood. Otherwise i can translate. But i am sure it is okay.

Thank you to all guys here :merci:

• Hello,

Someone here wrote a few hours ago that the 66S comes with two weights!!. The one i send you is the heavier one. The 64S comes with a lighter counterweight! BUT i bought the extra one to use it with SPU gold.

Normally you will not see the 64S with the big weight.

My ortofon spu is 32 grammes. The FR headshell plus DL103 is 28 grammes. With my SPU the counterweight was at 13,5 mm distance from the achse. So in your situation you can move the counterweight closer to the achse and hope it will be enough to compensate for the 4 grammes.

The man in England also made a weight to put on top of the achse! He writes the bearing is very strong because it is also used for the 66S.

FR made some things to add extra stability to the armbase so i am sure if you use the collar i send you it will improve the sound.

greetings, ed

• Hello,

I hope we are allowed to use English here.

greetings, Ed

All Germans can use German and me i will use english because my German writing skills are so bad. Better to read ok English than my German

• Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

It is a pickering or shure cartridge and not original headshell. but big counterweight...only example.

Don´t worry Ed. i am going to make it....hope to get Arm next week and then i have to resolve problem with Armboard. Sorry, not problem, buy or make myself other Armboard for plinth.

• Hello,

This headshell and cartridge look lighter than the FR and dl103 to me. BUT do you see how close the weight is to the achse?

Someone here wrote counterweight 64S 37*25 mm 242 grammes, The one i have is 42*18 mm 233 grammes. There is also one called W170 which is a lighter counterweight that can be used with the 64S if the one that is in the box is to heavy..

It would be nice to make a weight 52*18 mm ( can someone calculate how much it will be heavier than 233 grammes?) and compare that to 42*18 mm which will be at a greater distance from the achse.

Greetings, Ed

• Ed, another question: i Note you have experience with FR 64 S Arm.

A gut wrote to me to use when possible a nude SPU cartridge with original Headshell instead SPU with Tondosen, cause heute note sind resonances.

Is it true?

• Hello,

Maybe some people like the SPU because the resonances in the housing make it sound nicer?

I know in the past the French did replace the original housing from the DL103 with one made from lead!. ( called capot en plomb)

I never tried. It is so tricky to do!

greetings, ed

• Die Gewichte der 64 und 66s bestehen nicht nur aus Edelstahl . Es ist ein Edelstahl -Außenteil mit einenBleihaltigen Legierung Innen. Hätte vor Jahren für einen Kunden so ein Teil mal abgedreht.

Grüße

• Die Gewichte der 64 und 66s bestehen nicht nur aus Edelstahl . Es ist ein Edelstahl -Außenteil mit einenBleihaltigen Legierung Innen. Hätte vor Jahren für einen Kunden so ein Teil mal abgedreht.

Grüße

Hätte ich mir denken können das die etwas mehr als gedrehter Stahl ist. Ed meinte Kupfer wäre gut. Ich tendiere auch zu Messing. Wäre Kupfer nicht zu weich?