Plattenspieler Franke RTS ; Tonarm Fidelity Research FR 64 ?

• Das was shaqiri schreibt, macht Sinn ...

Das macht allerdings keinen Sinn. Soweit ich weiss ist Shaqiri im Moment ziemlich beschäftigt an der Fussballweltmeisterschaft in Russland und wenn der im Moment noch tatsächlich Zeit hat hier im AAA-Forum zu schreiben, dann müsste er meiner Meinung nach suspendiert werden. ?(

Cheers

Roland

Ich höre mit ... den Ohren! (Devon) :sorry:

• Hello,

YES, when i just did take a closer look i can see that it is not one solid piece of stainless steel. I work with stainless steel every day and i always thought that the counterweights were so heavy haha. Of course if there is lead inside.

I think kupfer can be machined on a drehmaschine. At least we do it at work sometimes but that could be kupfer that is a quality that can be used that way.

I still think it is a good idea to make a counterweight with a bigger diameter so that you can move it closer to the achse.

Long long time ago there was an arm available that had a counterweight not sure if it was a cilinder or an oval shape but the hole for the armtube was not in the center. And you had to turn it in such a way that the biggest part of the weight was closest to the armboard.

I found it but i have seen it with other arms too! This one has a wheel so you can balance it. Of course you can use a screw to attach the weight to the arm. Just balance it one time.

Greetings, Eddeccainternationa900.gif

013-2.jpg

• Rolandpower (Kraft? :/ ),

wenn Du mit den Gegengewichten am FR-64s experimentieren willst, probiere doch mal Wolfram. Aufgrund seiner hohen Dichte ist es schwer, so kämst Du mit geringeren Abmessungen aus sowie mit einer Platzierung sehr dicht am Tonarmlager (was immer optimal ist).

Kupfer, Messing etc. am FR-Arm kann ich nicht nachvollziehen. Nur weil es geht?

Ich bin auch kein Fan von Headshells aus Holz an diesen Armen. Aber auch nicht aus Blech, wie beim FR-S3 und dergleichen (die hatte ich damals immer gleich an Sammler verkauft).

Hier gäbe es vermutlich geeignete Rohlinge aus Wolfram Karbid: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Wolfra…84cbda:g:gs0AAOSwAPVZLuyJ

Mindestens zwei Bohrungen bräuchte es: 1. große in der Mittelachse zum Aufschieben auf das hintere Armrohr, 2. kleine senkrecht auf das Rohr für eine Fixierschraube.

Noch besser wäre es, die Mittelbohrung so zu erweitern, dass eine Hülse aus Teflon eingepresst werden kann, welche dann auf das Tonarmrohr geschoben wird. Fixierung durch seitliche Madenschraube.

Leider sind das keine Arbeiten mehr, die jedermann auf seiner Hobbydrehmaschine fertigt. Auch Profis mögen das weniger, weil Wolfram/Tungsten eine Qual für das Werkzeug ist. Aber wer einen kennt, der einen kennt....

Viele Grüsse,
    Mario

It is good taste, and good taste alone, that possesses the power to sterilize and is always the first handicap to any creative functioning. (Salvador Dali)

• Hello,

The reason why they probably use lead is because it is heavy and will kind of absorb vibrations. I am not sure that wolfram will do the same because it is so hard.

Maybe the teflon( but i would prefer another plastic because almost impossible to glue it.) could be made on a 3D printer?

Greetings, Ed

• Hallo,

mit Verlaub - ich verstehe die Notwendigkeit nicht ganz. (Ver)basteltrieb? Sofern das originale Gegengewicht fehlt, muß man sich natürlich Ersatz besorgen und dann stellt sich möglicherweise die Frage nach dem exakten Aufbau des Originals oder möglicher Alternativen in der Materialauswahl. Dennoch würde ich mich seitens der Masse immer ans Original halten. Glaubt mir, Isamu Ikeda wusste genau was er dort konzipiert hat. ;)

Ich habe in meinem FR-64S unterschiedlichste Tonabnehmer (in unterschiedlich schweren Headshells) probiert und problemlos balancieren können. Angefangen bei Leichtgewichten wie AT-95E und Ortofon "OM Pro S" bis hin zum DL103 im Lignolab Bronzegehäuse; immer war die Einstellung problemlos - auch dank der Möglichkeit dynamische und statische Auflagekraft nach Belieben kombinieren zu können. Wenn's nicht klingt, liegt es sicher nicht am Gegengewicht...

Schönen Sonntag,

Marc

• Hello,

The Fidelity Research company sold some extra parts made to improve the standard 64 and 66 arms.

A famous one was the B-60 arm elevation base to adjust VTA. An important side effect which is also mentioned in the description is stabilizing the arm to prevent resonances.Weight is 580 grammes.

Another one was N-60 arm stabilizer nut which is just a thick metal ring that is attached to the original mounting collar with the purpose to stabilize it by adding mass. (430 grammes)

Because i work in metal business i asked a co worker to make a piece of metal that could replace the original mounting collar. It will combine ectra weight ( 368 grammes) and a much better grip on the achse. Depending on the turntable being used it can be made higher to add more mass. If the mounting place of the turntable is easy accessible it could put underneath the armboard and you could use the 3 M4 or M5 threaded holes to attach it from the upper side of the armboard.

The achse of the 64S is rather long so you can always add a second ring to add more mass.

I send rolandpower a ring and hope he will be able to use it either to attach the arm to the armboard( which is the best thing to do) or just use it for its mass.

The ring i had made has a tight fit, just turning the M5 screw 90 degrees is the difference between sliding easily up and down and a grip that is so tight you cannot move the achse with a hammer!. We did try it with another piece of metal same dimensions as the achse.

With the 64S i made a stainless steel collar with the 64fx i made it from aluminium. My idea was that if you want to transfer the vibrations from the arm into the board the ring should be made from the same material as the arm.

greetings,Ed20180421_100717.jpg

• I have FR B-60 and FR N-60 and Micro Seiki AST-10, which fits FR.

Best sound is AST-10, second best is N-60 followed very close by B-60

all have a big difference to the original screw.

B-60 is perfect, if you change carts often, as you can adjust VTA on the fly.

All test are done on Micro Seiki, so AST-10 might be the best, as fits best to Micro Seiki Armbase material.

HEIMSTATT DER MUSIK

Veranstalter musikalischer Events,
    Händler für hochwertige audiophile Genussmittel mit analogem Schwerpunkt

AAA- Mitglied

• @Ed

the Micro Seiki AST -10 is one of the different tonearm stabilizers, to be used to fit and stabilize the tonearm , similar to the Fidelity Research FR N-60

I personally use the AST-08 and AST-10

Please see the attached picture of the AST-10 fixing an Ikeda 407, which has similar Base dimensions as FR 64/FR66.

IMG_7377.jpg

HEIMSTATT DER MUSIK

Veranstalter musikalischer Events,
    Händler für hochwertige audiophile Genussmittel mit analogem Schwerpunkt

AAA- Mitglied

• shakti. the stabilizer ist amazing good and drops downside the energy. the advantage of this devices is, you can´t use it in a normal classic plinth.

They are very good on beltdrives or DD´s like micro´s without plinth!!

thanks for illustration

• Hello Juergen,

When i googled for AST-10 it did not show the one you show in the post. We should not trust google all the time.

I remember reading about Mr. Ikeda system in the eighties then he was using the EMT 927 with EMT arm!

greetings, Ed

• Mario

danke für deinen Tip!! das beste an der Sache ist, das diese Rohstoffe mir rein gar nichts nutzen. Kann sein, das Dreher mit dem Material Probleme bekommen.

Das größte Problem ist das die örtlichen Metallbauer, Schlosser solch kleine Aufträge gar nicht annehmen oder gar mit großaufträgen für Landmaschinen, Industrie usw beschäftigt sind. Ich wollte eine Kleinigkeit bei einer Schlosserei aufgeben, die mir nie geantwortet hat.

Habe jemanden in GB gefunden, der sich auf diese Dinge wie Basen, Counterweights and so on spezialisiert hat.

Wurde hier schon mal verlinkt von Ed wenn nicht täusche. kann ich aber gern nochmal.

• @ Rolandpower,

That man in England is good with wood. But almost sure he would not accept to make a wolfraam counterweight for you.

I know he makes armpods from alumium or polished steel that he will fill with melted lead ( surely no bleischrott). Just for fun you could ask him to make a counterweight which has bigger diameter and higher weight so it can be closer to the achse.

He is using or has been using a 64S himself.

Greetings, Ed

• Hello,

I think if you wanna make it better than the original you should ask him to use lead. But make it with a larger diameter.

Because you need a new armboard anyway i would get one which will allow to put the stainless steel collar i send you under the armboard so that the counterweight can be larger in diameter.

On the topside of the armboard you can use a metal ring with a 25 mm hole in the middle ( the achse is 23.25 mm) and 3 holes in a circle so you will not damage the wood with the m4 or m5 bolts. I can make you one on my German Trumpf cnc machine. Make it 1,5 or 2 mm stainless steel.

Greetings, Ed

• Ich kenne das Angebot und lohnt absolut gar nicht. Vom Preis her und dann auch noch Zölle usw.

Ausserdem hab ich eins am Arm. Falls noch eins nötig ist, schwerer oder leichter...

Interessant auch die diskussion über verschiedenes Material bzw Metalle.