Der Mr. Nixie ++`DIGNA`++Thread

• Hier geht es weiter mit Informationen und Erfahrungsberichten rund um die Phonostufe DIGNA.

Der kleine Verstärker STCII darf hier sicherlich auch geduldeter Weise Erwähnung finden:).

Evtl. schiebt die Moderation bestehende Beiträge passend hier in den Thread!?

-Gruß Peter-

`Im Jazzrock steckt die Chance zur Versöhnung von Körper und Geist.` - DIE ZEIT, 27/2003, S. 37.

• Following these few words is my contribution I had made to another thread, I am pleased to have moved it to a place in a Thread where the DIGNA will be respected for its value it brings to a system.

I am extremely happy with the DIGNA, for various reasons.

The most important being that it is that it put my use of Solid State Phonostages to the side.

I only have one Solid State MM Phonostage today, it is unused by myself and kept for sentimental reasons and to be loaned to others, in some cases as long as six months, this is a well like Phonostage and was replaced for use in my system by a Clones PA1.

The DIGNA performance made my Clones Audio PA1 no longer required, the difference in the performance between the DIGNA and PA1 was so obviously noticeable,

the DIGNA improved on the performance in all areas,

I classed it as the 'most honest Phonostage to date' used in my system.

To keep the PA1 performance in context,

it was at a earlier occasion to my owning the DIGNA trialed on the HiFi Clubs expensive resident system, it was entered in the £ 1000 - £ 3000 retail price range, and it held its own with the upper valued Phonostages, it was declared by the attendees as a great find and a great performer. I had a synergy on the expensive resident system, that shone above many Solid State Phonostages on the day.

The DIGNA has been heard by many, as a result of my taking it to Public Events, it has won many friends, some of whom have openly declared, a played track on a album is the best they have heard it.

Where the DIGNA falls, is not with the design, but with the build components, one in particular, has a problem for the DIGNA, it is the Burson Op Amp.

This is a great component and requires close to 100 hours of usage to bring out its best to offer.

For those who have stayed close to the DIGNA, allowing the Burson to mature to its full potential, the reward of Loyalty is delivered with a Sound Quality that many much more expensive Phonostages can not match, the Depth of Bass notes, with the control the Bass Note cut off, is very special.

It is not a Heavy over powering bloomy bass, with a muddiness.

It is present with a pleasing honesty and reverberation.

The Air and Spaciousness around the Performers, with a Clarity and detail retrieval is beyond the usual offering, the Mid Range Projects giving imagery that is touchable, and Cymbals and Brush Strokes are present with a meaningful decay.

I have heard extremely expensive Phonostages that can not deliver in areas as the DIGNA can.

The DIGNA is not for the lover of the EAR Clone type designs, with the overpowering bass bloom, and loss of detail as a result.

The DIGNA is for the listener who wants to share a moment with the Producer, to feel his finger slowly tweaking the sliders, bring in the layers, the DIGNA can bring this detail and Honesty to the listening room.

With all the additional adjustments added by the designer, the cartridge can be matched to the experience in a way that some much more Phonstages offer.

On a side note a friend who builds superb all Valve Phonostages, has asked for the DIGNA to be brought to his home on occasions so he can compare his builds Sound Quality with some of the DIGNA's best qualities, especially the Air and Space in the Mid's and highs.

I

• So, jetzt hier nochmal meine Antwort auf die im anderen Thread gestellte Frage:

Wie klingt die DIGNA?

Wo sind ihre Schwächen?

Die Schwäche die ich ausmache liegt im Auge des Betrachters;)!

Es gibt Phono-Stufen die halt wertiger ausschauen und letztlich dann auch noch für weniger Invest zu haben sind.

Das wäre für mich die Schwäche.

Meine Klangbeschreibung würde von anderen Hörern der DIGNA sicher toller und blumiger formuliert werden können.

Nun, eine von Matej sehr gut überarbeitete Whest P.20 besitze ich und schätze diese Phono als solide und wirklich dynamisch gut klingend. Diese wäre sozusagen meine Referenz, da sie im Prinzip keine Wünsche offen lässt.

Am Beispiel des DL 103ers mit Shibata-Nadel an 2 versch. Phono-Moppeds aus der Erinnerung.. konnten mich nicht überzeugen. Da hatte ich den Denon ÜT AU-320 zwischen.

Langweilig, auch weil verhangen im Klang, es fehlte mir an der Offenheit in der Darbietung.

Ein modifizierter Ear-Clone mit anderen Kondis und TFK & Tesla Röhren hatte hier schon eine besondere Plastizität und das gewisse Etwas. Nur leider absolut unpräzise im kompletten Grundton.. ging somit gar nicht!

Die F.A.T. kann je nach Röhren-Steckung sehr musikalisch und solide klingen und ist und bleibt ein geniales Forumsprojekt!

Es gab testweise eine Schiit-Mani mit großem NT, das war grottenschlecht in meiner Kette!

Es gab diese oTTo-Aikidos hier und sie sind nicht schlecht.

Eine mod. Luxman C-02 (Faden hier im Forum) hatte nach einem umfangreichen Kondensator-Tausch tatsächlich etwas `besonderes` im Klang was mir gefiel.

Es gab noch ne Phonomena II und einige andere..

Mit der Whest P.20 wäre ich zufrieden gewesen(naja, bin ich auch immer noch), wenn ich nicht den Hybrid-amp STC II gebraucht.. also nochmal viel preiswerter als er eh schon ist.. erworben hätte. Das war klanglich derart ..und schon fast unerwartet.. gut an meinen LS, ein absoluter Knaller!

Das kleine Dingen ist absolut wertig designed (hauptsächlich eben innen!) von außen unscheinbar.

Der klangliche Unterschied in meinem Raum war im Vergleich zur Schiit Freya - IcePower Endstufe derart, dass die DIGNA in meine nähere Beobachtung trat.

Im Net gibt es inzwischen auch hier und da etwas zur DIGNA an Erfahrungsberichten zu Lesen, tja und so vollgesabbert vor Neugierde, habe ich mir den Bausatz geordert.

Aufgebaut und die ECC8100 von TFK (gehören ja dazu) eingebrannt und BUMM!

Was hebt sich hier nun klanglich vom Rest ab?

Ich meine alles! Entweder waren alle meine bisherigen Phono-Stufen grottig, oder die DIGNA ist einfach sagenhaft gut!

Hier haben alle Tugenden dazu gewonnen. Die Tiefe in der Bühnendarstellung, die Kontur im Bass und vor Allem die Feinauflösung. Ich war von Anfang an geflashed von der Präsenz, welche von der Phono ausgeht.

Das shib. DL103 hatte ich kurz zuvor noch mit dem Haufe T890 ÜT gehört... leider auch nix gutes! Naja, beim 103er gebe ich nie auf:).

Die DIGNA kitzelte alles aus dem TA heraus. Etwas am Poti gedreht, bei etwa 11 Uhr stehen geblieben und es passte alles.

Offenheit, Brillanz und ein weites Klangspektrum sind das Ergebnis. Das ist es!

Das ist eben auch ein großes + der DIGNA. Widerstände sind mit dem Regler easy stufenlos einzustellen/zu testen. Im MC Bereich sind die ÜTs bereits intern verbaut und die Geschichte harmoniert aller bestens.

Derzeit höre ich mit meinem verbliebenen AT150 mlx am KD 990 .

So gut habe ich das AT noch nie gehört!

Ich kann es mir wirklich nicht anders vorstellen, obwohl ich nun keine Vergleiche zu hochpreisigen Geräten anführen kann.. die DIGNA hat meine analoge Kette auf ein neues Niveau gebracht. Will sagen, sie ist klanglich sicherlich deutlichst in einer weit höheren Region anzusiedeln!

-Gruß Peter-

`Im Jazzrock steckt die Chance zur Versöhnung von Körper und Geist.` - DIE ZEIT, 27/2003, S. 37.

• As a update on my DIGNA ownership.

There are members of my Local HiFi Group, who are impressed by it and are not short on giving it good appraisal.

One Member has now carried out the work on the PCB and it is now in a position to be put through Tube Rolling.

The DIGNA is now out on a long term loan, as the Local Group has meetings in number, more times than I can attend .

The interesting situation, is that one member, who has a vast knowledge and a two generation collection of valves, is keen to put the DIGNA through a tube rolling experience, with the rare old exotic tubes in the collection through to the more common matched sets.

I am very keen to receive all feed back and pass on the groups evaluations.

• Klein_Leo

Hallo, deine Beschreibung klingt doch etwas .. zääh..

Hast du evtl. einen Vergleich, eine Referenz zu anderen Gerätschaften?

Gruß

Peter

-Gruß Peter-

• was erwartest, Lobhudelei?

Ich bin gebürtiger Schwabe, da ist "nedd schlecht" das höchste Lob, das man je hören wird....

Die Vergleichsreferenz ist eine Omtec Antares V3 mit einem Benz SLR Gullwing, montiert an einem Well Tempered Record Player aus den 90er.

• Klein_Leo

Jau, ALLES GUT!

Ist jetzt nicht die blumigste Beschreibung von Allen gewesen, aber nun ja.;)

Ich wünsche dir (weiterhin) viel Freude mit deinen Gerätschaften!

Gruß

Peter

-Gruß Peter-

• I have in the past day received some valuable feedback on the Tube Rolling with the DIGNA,

I will attempt to Copy and Paste the positive reports later today.

• Following are the extracts from Three Individuals who took the time to take part in a totally impartial Tube Rolling session with the DIGNA.

My Summary of the Assessors.

These assessments that follow are produced by very experienced individuals in relation to HiFi.

They are committed to supporting the HiFi Community in the UK, there activities as a group range from auditioning different devices in their own systems, as well as in other members home systems, this does really allow to let a device reveal it true effect on a Sound Quality.

As a proportion of the Group number, there are arrangements to participate in

Public Forum Based HiFi Events, where personal owned and built Devices are at times presented for Audition by the Public Attendees.

The Group also periodically attend Commercial HiFi Shows to keep familiar with modern presentations of HiFi Devices and Systems.

I can assure whoever reads this content, that these individuals are accurate in appraisals,

and as a rule, only make time for this type of audition, when there is a confidence, that a device that has already impressed in one guise, might be able to surpass itself as a base model if careful considered changes are applied.

Hi all,

Many thanks to John and Peter for coming over this afternoon bearing a rather tasty SME vinyl front-end plus some excellent music to boot.. A brief CD session served as an entree for the main analogue with three pairs of Special Quality E88CC tubes making an appearance in the DIGNA phone stage.

First up, we listened to the DIGNA with John's pair of standard type Mullard / Zaerix ECC88 valves. This proved to be a very good reference point as the sound was detailed, well balanced and very pleasant to listen too. .

Inserting the PQ (Premium Quality) Amperex 6922 tubes however gave an immediate lift to the sound which became more lively and spacious with excellent resolution of detail and little, if any, colouration discernible.. The leading edges of notes were clean and precise the , treble registers extended, bass deep and punchy and mid-range very open. All agreed this was a very impressive valve which was hard to fault.

Next-up was the Mullard CV2493 / E88CC-01 variant. The initial thoughts of the group was that perhaps it was quite not as bold or 'lively' as the Amperex with a slightly 'warmer' more relaxed presentation. However, this valve was to emerge as a 'grower' with the ability to consistently retrieve 'detail within detail' on a wide range of recordings with terrific tonal accuracy and great delicacy. The sound staging was big and believable and voices dripped with emotion This proved to be a super-articulate tube on the day and a very addictive listen.

Finally, we tried the early 1960s Siemens E88CC. This valve turned in another excellent performance with what the group felt was a mellower, possibly slightly coloured presentation - tonally rich if perhaps not quite the last word in tonal accuracy. Definitely, a sumptuous presentation though and very easy on the ear. We liked it a lot.

Quite frankly, all of these tubes sounded top-drawer in the Digna elevating the performance to a significantly higher level than perhaps we would have thought possible at start of play. If there was a winner on the day on the basis of what was a very brief sampler, session. then there seemed to be a collective feeling that the -01 Mullard probably edged it by a head. This is not a 'shouty' tube but its understatement coupled with a sense of calm composure on 'difficult' recordings was greatly admired. The sense of realism conveyed from the music we played was almost uncanny at times.

In conclusion I would like to say Peter's SME 20 / V5 combo sounded superb and IMHO represented a step up on the previous iteration we heard at mine last year - some going !. A very difficult act to follow.. . .

Looking forward to some more hi-fi experimentation later in the month.

All the best

Hello David and Peter,

Yet another thoroughly enjoyable journey into the world of high end vinyl with some excellent digital thrown in at the beginning. Many thanks David for hosting and for providing your usual smorgasbord of valves. Also Peter for providing the superb SME 20-2 V combo and John G (in absentia) for providing the DIGNA.

The amperex valves impressed after the standard valves, with a vivid presentation and enhanced dynamic range. I didn’t think that these could be improved upon until the Mullard E88cc-01 were slotted in. These I thought had superb tonality and highlighted the attributes of the Quad 57’s unique midrange and detail capabilities. If the DIGNA were mine I wouldn’t hesitate to put these valves in it, as it elevates it’s already excellent performance to something really special. The Siemens valves felt a bit of an anti-climax for me. They lacked the drama of the Mullards, but they had a mellifluous quality that could well grow on you in time. What was clear by the end of our session is that the DIGNA is very sensitive to the qualities of different valves and its already excellent performance can be elevated even further with a judicious choice of valve.

All in all a tremendous afternoon of sonic exploration

A pleasure to see you, John. I think your summation of the tube-rolling exercise was very apposite.

As mentioned earlier, this was the first time, I'd ever heard the -01 version of the Mullard E88CC and I was pleasantly surprised by their showing. These valves are a selected ultra-low noise version with tightly matched anode sections. I too, really liked their 'organic' precision as opposed to the hard,,sterile emphasis that often accompanies high-resolution of detail. They are certainly closer to the Amperex in terms of overall presentation than the Siemens which has a more luxurious, smoother character. I suspect that the latter however, could find its niche with jazz recordings in particular..

Anyhow, I'm happy to have another spin with the tubes in the DIGNA through your system if you wish. I would certainly concur that it is a very impressive ( and super-quiet ) phono stage

I am very pleased at the outcome of the perceptions of the Noticeable improvements to be had when the DIGNA is given a careful consideration, created by a few very experienced individuals, one who is especially renowned for the their vast knowledge and collection of Valves that has been collected over Two Generations.

I hope other DIGNA owners are inspired to carry out similar experiences for themselves, once they have the Magic 90 Hours of usage on the Burson.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von JohnG ()

• Wg. der orangen Beleuchtung?

Normal ist die doch grün, oder?

Ahoi

Jürgen

Alles was Spaß macht ist entweder "unmoralisch","macht dick" oder ist "zu teuer!!!"

(War da etwa Haschisch in dem Schokoladenei)

• Nun weiß er böschaid !

Das ging aus dem Bild nicht so gut hervor!

Ahoi

Jürgen

Alles was Spaß macht ist entweder "unmoralisch","macht dick" oder ist "zu teuer!!!"

(War da etwa Haschisch in dem Schokoladenei)

• Kacke! Das Vorverstärkerchen ist echt fein....das merke ich schon am zweiten Hörabend. Da gab es es Kisten, die haben mich nach 2 Jahren noch nicht so happy gemacht....ganz großes Kino.

Detaillierter Bericht folgt.

Config.sys (sinnentleert, aber regelkonform):

- 2. Zeile
    - 3. Zeile
    - 4. Zeile